Copyright © Anton Nel 2017
ZWARTKOP AIR FORCE BASE
AFS Zwartkop was established in April 1921 and was South Africa's first air force base and is home of the SAAF Museum. The base is located on the western side of the main (tar) runway. Following the original selection of land for a planned aerodrome, for what eventually became Swartkop, in about 1920 a private farm called Zwartkop was expropriated by the Government of the day. This farm had itself been named after a nearby prominent hill. The Dutch spelling of Zwartkop was retained for the Air Station that was subsequently developed. On April 1, 1949, the Dutch spelling was dropped in favour of the English and resulted in Air Force Station (AFS) Swartkop. On February 1, 1968, the AFS was upgraded to a fully fledged Air Force Base (AFB). The Base was reprocaimed an Air Force Station on 1 March 1999. The SAAF commenced vacating the base in 1999, with the intention of leaving only the SAAF Museum behind and the base being known as 'Swartkop', an extension of AFB Waterkloof. The SAA Historic Flight moved to the airfield and airfield has been proclaimed a heritage site. However, the SAAF then changed it's mind and it is not known when the SAAF will eventually vacate all its operational units. The SAAF Museum occupies the northern side of the base, while the active SAAF units occupy the southern end of the base. The SAAF Memorial is located on Bays Hill, on the northern side of the Base. The base is also responsible for the Ellisras Reporting Post, FACP Centurion, FACP Lohaatla and FACP Potchefstroom. The name of the base reverted to the original "Zwartkop" in 2012.
Anton Nel Aviation Photography 
Copyright © Anton Nel 2017
AFB Zwartkop was established in April 1921 and was South Africa's first air force base and is home of the SAAF Museum. The base is located on the western side of the main (tar) runway. Following the original selection of land for a planned aerodrome, for what eventually became Swartkop, in about 1920 a private farm called Zwartkop was expropriated by the Government of the day. This farm had itself been named after a nearby prominent hill. The Dutch spelling of Zwartkop was retained for the Air Station that was subsequently developed. On April 1, 1949, the Dutch spelling was dropped in favour of the English and resulted in Air Force Station (AFS) Swartkop. On February 1, 1968, the AFS was upgraded to a fully fledged Air Force Base (AFB).
ZWARTKOP AFB